Thursday, September 16, 2010

Bad Vibes

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

So, putting my failed prediction for the future of the Panth behind me (PostSecret's not that big a deal, eh?), I'm pleasantly surprised to be back here once again, writing something, for my grand total of negative three followers to read :D  Given, I started writing three different posts, and this is the third time I'm having a go at this one, I think I'm slowly getting back into the swing of things. Took me a few years. I suppose it helps that any alternative that I wouldn't feel guilty about resorting to involves either a) reading completely new material for a class about four hours away or b) interviewing random strangers, I'm not so surprised to be here! On a side note, I just checked and have 41 drafts saved on this blog, some of them dating back to 2006. Given, a few only have titles or a couple of words in the body, but still. I have no explanation.

So, what's the chosen topic of the day? If you don't know by now, this post - and perhaps this entire blog - may completely elude you. Stick around, maybe you'll figure it out. You see how I think I'm amusing? It's a curse and a blessing, *sigh*. Yeah, I am a tad bit hyper. And this was supposed to be a serious post! Anyway...

Lately, I've been growing more and more susceptible to bad vibes, to what people do and say around me. It takes one casually dropped f-bomb during a phone conversation between another passenger and whoever's at the other end of the line, at 8 AM, while waiting for my bus, to pretty much taint the rest of my day with at least a shadow of melancholy. Sometimes it's worse and I spend the rest of the day in an irritable mood, which means I'm just carrying on the bad vibes and spreading them to others. Perfectly lovely, cheerful and energetic days are ruined just by overhearing a curse word.

And it's not just curse words.

It's people talking trash about other people, making fun of someone, so many other things. We're around this type of thing our whole lives, and I've been immersed in it myself - I'm not exempt from the judgmental people. I'm one of them. So why is this bothering me so much all of a sudden? I've begun to get irritated by the smallest things that really shouldn't bother me so much. Like someone talking about so-and-so's suit at Guruduara Sahib and a million other things besides. I still talk trash about people, knowingly and unknowingly. So what is going on?!

I heard an interesting thought from one of the speakers at the last Khoj workshop. I missed part of it, I think, but this is the general idea I understood from it: any word, good or bad, has a good or bad effect because of the definition we human beings have given to it. So what makes curse words so harmful, if they are merely words that we ourselves have defined that way? It's the idea, the intent, the emotion behind it that makes it so bad. If/when we curse, we're putting bad vibes out there into the world, where they linger and affect ourselves as well as others. Sikhs reading this can understand the concept and effect of vibes, I'm sure, because it's a deeply ingrained aspect of Sikhi, even if it's not one that is discussed often.

I've already lost my thread of thought - I've delayed this post like 3 separate times now. I just don't know what exactly it is that's making these things affect me so much lately, but it's a horrible feeling. A perfectly nice day is ruined by one bad vibe. The other day, I was having a lovely morning - holding doors for people and having doors held for me, smiling at people and getting smiles from them, the weather was nice, classes were fun, I saw people whose company I love and haven't enjoyed in a long time. I heard one person say "f***ing idiot" and my whole day went sour. I just don't see the point in cursing, I really don't. That isn't to say this murakh doesn't let an expletive slip every now and then - little self control, if any - but it's an act I immediately regret. It hurts even more coming from my Sikh brothers and sisters, in Gursikhi Saroop, in Guru Sahib's baanaa. Which leads me to the next topic I've been meaning to talk about for a few weeks.

Anyway...I know a lot of people think they're just words, like any other words, and not a big deal at all. But, cliche as it is, the pen is considered mightier than the sword for more reasons than one. Words have so much power in them, and I think people don't realize that sometimes. I really hate using this example, but could you imagine saying the f-word if Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaj Themselves were standing in front of you? (again reminds me of something I've been meaning to talk about for a while!)

We're all (mostly) adults here. I don't really have to tell anyone to stop cursing - they will if they consider it prudent. And I should probably quash any and all urges to curse within myself before I start preaching to others. I just feel so strongly about this lately. The effect of these things is so powerful, it's beginning to consume me. All I can think about it is "this person said so-and-so did/said this", and I'm drowning in all of the negativity. We can all be a little kinder to one another, help to lighten one another's burdens. It's not that difficult to just think about what we say before we say it.

Ahh. I suck at writing now. I can't keep my thoughts straight anymore. I might have to start outlining my blog posts like essays :| Forgive me, readers.

bhullchukmaaf
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!




Things I thought of while writing this post:

ਨਾਨਕ ਫਿਕੈ ਬੋਲਿਐ ਤਨੁ ਮਨੁ ਫਿਕਾ ਹੋਇ ॥   I know it says 'insipid' for the translation of 'fikaa', but as far as I have learned, it's actually bad/harsh/bitter ('rukhaa', according to Professor Sahib Singh; see here).

Love is the Answer - Weezer    My brother made me listen to this song halfway through writing this post...figured I'd post it. hehe.

I forget the rest. Yeah, I just think this post has a maarhi kismat :p

One response to “Bad Vibes”

Comics Books said...

Very nice

Mitha Bolan Neev Chalae

Leave a Reply

_/\_