Sunday, November 16, 2008

18 Years Today

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

No, not my birthday {again}. It's been eighteen years since my father, mother, and I came to the U.S. Eighteen years since my mother has seen her home. Eighteen years since I left the place that I've yearned for like no other. Eighteen years since we escaped the horror that has made so many of us hate India...

I've been thinking about this all day, and I guess I somehow imagined some really poignant post or something. Now that I'm here, though, I'm not sure what exactly I want to say.

I've wondered many times how our lives might have been different had we never moved here, and stayed in India. So much would have been different. Our family might never have received Amrit. I might not have fallen in love with reading and writing, or photography, or all the other things I love so much. I might never have met either of my best friends, or so many of the other people I love and call friends. I don't want to say so much would have been missing from my life, because who knows what I might have had in my life in India - but things would have been pretty different. Or maybe not. We'll never know, will we?

I'm not sure exactly how I feel. I just know how happy, and also how sad I felt when I finally got to go to India in 2006. I have seriously considered living in India once I'm an 'adult', but there are a lot of things to think about. I'm just going to say I'm still a little young for that, and put it out of my mind.

How about you? Were you born in India, or whatever country you reside in now? If you were born in India and live somewhere else now, how do you feel about that? How do you feel about India?

bhullchukmaaf
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

---

edit: I keep accidentally saving as draft instead of publishing the post. Whoops!

p.s. Comments replied to.

3 Responses to “18 Years Today”

LTW said...

Dehli Thakt dared to challenge Sri Akaal Thakt Sahib Ji which will be here even when time itself finishes……The Thakt of Dehli is doomed to break and fall the way of all the temporary Thakts of this world…. As one Jhujaroo Singh put it, “If all the Sikhs can put their hands firmly on the plough and give it one final push the yoke of slavery will be thrown off.”

Punjab was such a beautiful place when the Singhs in the 80s and early 90s fought and attained freedom for huge sections of it…… You are probably too young to remember but I’m sure if your parents lived in Punjab they would have already told you that…….The promise placed at the feet of Dhan Guru Har Gobind Sahib Ji shall be fulfilled no matter what……

…….Btw the Gift of Amrit does not come down to where you live but is due to your past karams……

Anonymous said...

I was born in India... but was a baby when I came here :P

I've been back twice. each time spending about 2 / 3 months out there.

I love it!!

Sometimes it feels more like home than here!

Anonymous said...

ps. But I don't know if I could live in India.

hmmm I'm not sure at all...

Because I'm so used to a different kind of lifestyle and culture to that of India... You know in terms of working, shopping, just living. I think it's harder for women in India in some respects... In other ways it's easier... most of the middle classes there have home help!

hmm sorry I have the literary version of verbal diarrhoea today(",)

Leave a Reply

_/\_