Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Emote

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Regular blogging has resumed. I apologize profusely, a gajillion times, for neglecting my blog, and continually going back on my promises to write a new post, write a new post. In the past couple of weeks, I must have sat down to write a post at least 10 times - but nothing came. My mind swirled with a hundred different thoughts, but none of them could connect with my fingers, it seems. Life's been very. . . lively lately. I've had several major things to think a lot about recently, and I feel so burdened. It's a good change from not thinking at all, though - I feel like some of my principles and beliefs have become stronger, while others have become clearer. I've learned a bit about myself, and it's interesting to see how the events of the world around me have affected me - more interestingly, which events have affected me.

For now, though, I choose to leave you with words written by someone else. I hope they have the same impact on you as they did on me, and I'll be back soon with something for you to think about. Poverty II is also an upcoming post.


Taken from Sikh Activist Network.

How Do You Thank...

How do you thank a woman who fought for you when you were enslaved?

How do you thank a sister who watched her brother hung from the gallows when you needed a freedom fighter?

How do you thank a farmer who worked under the hot sun to grow crops, when you needed food?

How do you thank a humanitarian who gave money when you needed support?

How do you thank a wife who watched her husband go to war when you needed protection?

How do you thank a widow who raised her son as a soldier to take her husband's place?

If your India,
you thank them by raping them in the street and leaving them for dead

- Jasdeep Singh


The Third World

boring are the cries of that orphan child
they eat their lobster and steak while her hunger makes her cry for a while

so they go to sleep in their warm bed
while she sleeps in the street with sugar plumbs dancing in her head

what can she do to make her voice heard?
she's not American, British, or Canadian, she's just a faceless baby dying in the third world

no one's ever heard of Darfur, India, or Afghanistan
so no one's ever heard of the little girl with the broken hands

she used to cry at night, but what good did it do her?
men used to come and do things to her
she just obeyed that old man
telling her to be good to the tourists visiting Thailand

she learned to grow up
on water and crumbs
looking for food in brazil's slums

she had to fight the dogs,
some of them were mean
but this was her garbage dump, this is where she was queen

she even learned to avoid the gun shots in the alley
you have to watch out for grenades if you grow up Somali,

I’m sure your a bit sad, stop reading and close your eyes

you don’t want me to tell you how the little orphan girl dies
you don’t want to imagine the sound of her last cries
but don’t worry, she didn’t make a sound, nothing was heard,
she wasn’t American, British, Canadian, she was just a faceless baby who died in the third world

- Jasdeep Singh


ਬਾਗੀ (Baagi) - Rebel

ਬਾਗੀ ਨਾਮ ਸਾਡਾ,
Rebel is our name

ਬਾਗੀ ਜਾਤ ਸਾਡੀ,
Rebel is our caste

ਸਾਡਾ ਬਾਗੀਆਂ ਨਾਲ ਵੀਹਾਰ ਲੋਕੋ,
Even our business is with Rebels.

ਗੁਰੂ ਦਸ਼ਮੇਸ਼ ਬਾਗੀ,
Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji was a Rebel

ਨਲੂਆ ਵੀਰ ਬਾਗੀ,
Hari Singh Nalwa was a Rebel

ਸਾਡਾ ਬਾਗੀ ਪੰਥ ਪਰਿਵਾਰ ਲੋਕੋ,
Our Panth is a Rebel

ਭਗਤ ਸਿੰਘ ਬਾਗੀ ਊੱਧਮ ਸਿੰਘ ਬਾਗੀ,
Bhagat Singh and Udham Singh were Rebels

ਸਾਡਾ ਬਾਗੀ ਭਿੰਡਰਾਂਵਾਲਾ ਸਰਦਾਰ ਲੋਕੋ,
Sant Bhindranwale is a Rebel

ਅਸੀਂ ਰਹੀਏ ਸਦਾ ਬਾਗੀ ਖਾਲਸਾ ਜੀ,
We will always live as rebel, Oh Khalsa!


ਹੁਣ ਬਾਗੀਆਂ ਤੋਂ ਕੰਬੂ ਸਰਕਾਰ ਲੋਕੋ....
And now, the government will tremble in fear of Rebels...

- Unknown Author

Submitted by comrades from Kaurs United

There are some more, and they're all good, but these particularly stood out to me, and made me a little emotional {surprise, surprise, right?}. You should go read the other ones, too.

Well.. For now, that's all. Can't wait until the semester's over - May 23rd approaches ever closer! =)

Fare thee well!

bhullchukmaaf
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

3 Responses to “Emote”

Jasdeep said...

glad you liked them
-Moorakh Jasdeep Singh

TeraRoop said...

Thank you very much for writing them!

Jasdeep said...

maharaj kirpa

Leave a Reply

_/\_