Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Maas - Flesh

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Thought I'd do this - it's probably not very helpful at all as many people will most likely see all of these things on their own {with the exception of Vikram Singh Ji's video, perhaps - but even that would become popular on its own with time *hint hint*} - considering I haven't blogged properly for months.

My first encounter with any reason besides "Guru Ji said so" to not eat meat was when I ran into this post on sskhalsa.com {Veerjeeee update! college is no excuse =p}. The video is horrific. As you may note from the comment I left on that post, I made the mistake of watching it only a moment after a full meal. Fortunately, I am not disgusted easily, but I was quite upset. I'm no animal rights activist, but the video moved me to tears. The animals are terribly, terribly mistreated, it's a gruesome sight. You can also download it directly through this link.

A post on the abuse of chickens on DiscoverSikhi gives a detailed description about how they are mistreated and what kind of suffering they must go through simply because people cannot control temptation and like the way they taste.

Having eaten chicken in my very young years, I can personally say that it's not so amazing that one will die without it. At the time it was a novelty - we didn't consume any other type of meat, and the extent of our eating chicken covered McNuggets {yeah.. lol} - and it wasn't so special. Lots of non-animal foods taste way better. I came to terms with my flesh-consuming past long ago, realizing that upon being blessed with Amrit, my life-slate had been wiped clean, my sins forgiven, and that past was no longer a part of me. Seeing how horribly they are treated, however, it's one of those things I'd go back and change if I could.

Vikram Singh has done the great Sevaa of narrating and putting together an approximately seven minute long video based on excerpts from Baba Iqbal Singh Ji's {Baru Sahib} book
Sikh Sidhant.

Take the time out to watch this video - it's not even seven minutes. I personally think it's wonderful, not only because I myself am a vegetarian and wholeheartedly promote vegetarianism {veganism.. ehh}, but because it provides entirely competent and well researched insight to the consumption of meat and its saddening consequences. The type of facts that are in demand these days as people become more and more educated and grow faithless.

If not in the name of God or 'humanity', then with your own health in consideration. Meat's just not any good.

There is also some Viaakhiaa on Maas uploaded to Sarabloh's Keertan {some of you may recognize him from SikhSangat/DiscoverSikhi} which can be found here. Interestingly enough, the Viaakhiaa is of this Shabad by Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji Maharaj in Raag Malaar on Ang 1289 - check out some of the Thukks:

ਮਾਸੁ ਮਾਸੁ ਕਿਰ ਮੂਰਖੁ ਝਗੜੇ ਿਗਆਨੁ ਿਧਆਨੁ ਨਹੀ ਜਾਣੈ ॥
ਕਉਣੁ ਮਾਸੁ ਕਉਣੁ ਸਾਗੁ ਕਹਾਵੈ ਿਕਸੁ ਮਿਹ ਪਾਪ ਸਮਾਣੇ ॥
ਗੈਂਡਾ ਮਾਿਰ ਹੋਮ ਜਗ ਕੀਏ ਦੇਵਿਤਆ ਕੀ ਬਾਣੇ ॥
ਮਾਸੁ ਛੋਿਡ ਬੈਿਸ ਨਕੁ ਪਕੜਿਹ ਰਾਤੀ ਮਾਣਸ ਖਾਣੇ ॥

SikhiToTheMax translates the first Thukk to mean "The fools argue about flesh and meat, but they know nothing about meditation and spiritual wisdom." Alright, that makes sense. Then the second line is quote to mean "
What is called meat, and what is called green vegetables? What leads to sin?" Here is where some questioning begins in the mind - the Shabad seems to be implying that there is no difference. Which also makes sense if you think about it.. because when one is a true Gurmukh, nothing makes any difference to him/her. They have no temptation or desire for certain tastes or things, so they will not desire meat, and even if they consume meat, it will be no different from a vegetable for them. The third line is then interpreted thus "It was the habit of the gods to kill the rhinoceros, and make a feast of the burnt offering." And the fourth is translated so: "Those who renounce meat, and hold their noses when sitting near it, devour men at night."

Interesting...

The next two lines are these:

ਫੜੁ ਕਿਰ ਲੋਕਾਂ ਨੋ ਿਦਖਲਾਵਿਹ ਿਗਆਨੁ ਿਧਆਨੁ ਨਹੀ ਸੂਝੈ ॥

They practice hypocrisy, and make a show before other people, but they do not understand anything about meditation or spiritual wisdom.
ਨਾਨਕ ਅੰਧੇ ਿਸਉ ਿਕਆ ਕਹੀਐ ਕਹੈ ਨ ਕਿਹਆ ਬੂਝੈ ॥
O Nanak, what can be said to the blind people? They cannot answer, or even understand what is said.

It doesn't make sense, then, does it? However, if one were to continue reading the Shabad {*nudge*}, things change a little. I take it to mean {in general, keep that in mind} that fools argue over the issue of flesh or meat, forgetting the importance of true faith and spirituality - forgetting the importance of Naam.

Whoa I just rendered this whole post useless =)

Do check out the rest of his uploads as well - the Viaakhiaa is ripped off of CD's and cannot be found anywhere else on the internet. There are valuable gems in the form of Viaakhiaa as well as Kirtan, and you can only benefit from them, so what have you got to lose?

I know a few people who are Amritdhari and continue to eat meat. Firstly, I believe the problem lies in the rehit - kuthhaa, halaal, jhatkaa, whatever you want to call it being considered okay. In Amrit Sanchaars everywhere, Panj Pyaaray instruct the brand-new Sikhs to avoid consumption of meat which is prepared in the above stated manner{s}.

Second, people use the argument that plants are living things, too. If we are allowed to consume fruits and vegetables, which live and breathe, why not animals?

I can come up with two extremely basic reasons as to why:

1) Plants don't have a nervous system. They don't feel pain. You could chop down wheat, pull an apple off a branch, a carrot out of the ground. The only effect these actions will have on any fruit or vegetable, any grain, is that the plant will stop growing.

2) Note: The following is speculation by Papa Ji. Everything is made up of elements. There are five elements, and nothing is without at least one. Plants consist of a very small number of elements, two or three, and it makes it less of a bad thing to consume this. Even Guru Ji tells us to eat only as much as necessary, and if survival is easy with a diet of plants, why consume animals? It makes no sense.

I dunno.. I just don't get it.

Anyway, please take a look at the links, and seriously consider what you read or watch. Just ignore what I wrote =)

From experience, I feel that these types of things only further motivate those who already agree with what is being stated, and have little or no effect on those who oppose them.

Sadly enough.

TR might just be back in action =)

*everybody runs away*

bhullchukmaaf
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fatehh !!

10 Responses to “Maas - Flesh”

ss said...

Used to graze in a field
Used to breathe, I used to be alive
Did chew the grass in the field
Could see and hear the world around me
See and fear man around me
Had a virgin skin, but now
Sold in supermarkets now
Studded blankets
Used to hear the cars and the birds, going by
And the people going by, they were my destiny
They were my reason, my purpose in this field
For their plates, their cold bodies, their car seat covers
My soul for your soles of shoes
You may like my taste, you may like my worth
It may say in the bible that you can kill me
But I don't want to die, I don't want to die
You tried to stroke me in a field
Then go home and eat me as your meal

Sick Butchers - By Flux of Pink Indians

:-)

TeraRoop said...

Told you I wanted to put up the songs =)

Waheguru

ss said...

At least you called it a song ;-)

TeraRoop said...

*looks at screen

looks down

looks up again

cocks head to the right

smiles*

ss said...

*jams hands in his pockets and walks of whistling*

TeraRoop said...

*giggles and waves goodbye to his retreating back*

satvinder said...

that's such a sweet exchange in comments - made me smile and me needed that today (",) thank you both.

TeraRoop said...

*a sly smile spreads across her face.. she whistles to get ss veerji's attention, and when he turns around, she nods her head at satvinder bhenji and winks*

hehehe

ss said...

Did I just hear whistling? :-)

TeraRoop said...

you tell me =)

Leave a Reply

_/\_