Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Happening

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

A lot has been happening lately, but something in the public eye that really struck home was the drowning of three Gursikh veers.

There are threads on both popular forums, articles all over the news, and various posts by bloggers everywhere. Most of you already know what happened, but here are links to some write-ups and additional information about the three Singhs Harvinder Singh Ji, Satvir Singh Ji, and Tajinder Singh Ji:

Three Sikh Youths Drown - DiscoverSikhi.com, this is where I first found out.

Three Young Gursikhs Pass Away in Lake District Tragedy - SikhSangat.com

Lake District Tragedy: Sikh Community Grieves for Youngsters - SikhSangat News

There are countless news articles published all over the internet, many are linked to in the posts on the two forums. Here, though, I'd like to direct your attention to Solarider's blog, where he has written up a post including many reference links, one of which leads to a set of pictures of the Singhs who are physically no longer with us.

A few of the forum users have also posted relevant {who am I kidding, Baani is always relevant} Shabads, which had a great effect on me. Here is one of them:

ਕਬੀਰ ਸੰਤ ਮੂਏ ਕਿਆ ਰੋਈਐ ਜੋ ਅਪੁਨੇ ਗ੍ਰਿਹਿ ਜਾਇ ॥
Kabeer, why cry at the death of a Saint? He is just going back to his home.

ਰੋਵਹੁ ਸਾਕਤ ਬਾਪੁਰੇ ਜੁ ਹਾਟੈ ਹਾਟ ਬਿਕਾਇ ॥੧੬॥
Cry for the wretched, faithless cynic, who is sold from store to store. ||16||


What would we do without Guru Ji..? hah.

It took a moment for anything to sink in when I read the post on DS. At first I feel as if my subconscious tried its very best to control every other part of me. I could hear myself soothing myself {strange eh?}, saying things like it's okay, it's what's meant to happen. You love Him, and you trust Him, right? So you should be able to accept His will, He knows what He's doing, everything's okay.

And then the dam burst. I don't really know what I was crying over. I didn't know the Singhs personally, and it wasn't so much that they had
died. I've lost people in life before, and later in life I couldn't dredge up a single tear over any of them. But when I read about these three veers of mine who will no longer grace Sangat with their physical presence, something grabbed hold inside me. Everywhere in the posts and threads and whatnot, the Gursikh writers are reminding us as well as themselves not to waste a single moment, not to waste a single breath, and to take the time we have here to do Simran, to think of God, the only thing that will ever come of use.

However.. I felt as if not only have I wasted time by not doing Simran, but also by not attempting to know and learn from the inspirational Gursikhs around me. I never had a chance to meet them.. but just like with the deaths of Bhai Parminder Singh Ji, Bhai Charanjit Singh Ji, and Bibi Rena Kaur Ji, it was the reaction of the Sangat who did know them that really touched me. I took notice of how many people had something to say about them, from people who knew them their whole lives to people who'd met them for a few moments, to people who'd only seen them from afar. This is the gift of Guru Ji to His Sikhs - even a Gurmukh's appearance can inspire those around them. Their Baanaa, their glowing faces, peaceful and humble, their sweet voices and kind manner of speaking. What has our Beloved not given us? Do we lack anything? Then why do we still continue to ignore that which we must do, and turn our heads away, toward other things?

Just as before when three Gursikhs I'd never known died, and news spread across the Gursikh network, I was inspired this time, too, by the inspiration others took from these three Singhs. Dhan dhan,
fifteen years old and people who knew him spoke only of his sweetness and willingness, nay, eagerness to do Sevaa.

So, somewhere inside, and somehow... I am happy for them. Only God knows if they are with Him or not, none of us can say.. but the legacy and the prem, the true inspiration they left behind with those who knew them, and even those who did not, is their Sevaa. It is their contribution to the Panth, to the Sangat, to Gurmukhs everywhere.

Their bravery and courage, their true prem for one another, will not be forgotten. Just as years later people {including me} become teary-eyed whenever Bhai Paramjit Singh Ji, Bhai Charanjit Singh Ji, or Bibi Rena Kaur Ji are mentioned, people will remember and be inspired by Bhai Harvinder Singh Ji, Bhai Satvir Singh Ji, and Bhai Tajinder Singh Ji.

Here is one post that really touched me, especially the quote Veerji has included in what he has written.

Waheguru Ji.. Waheguru Ji

I've decided not to include the other happening I was going to write about. Who cares about what the Pope said to offend the Muslims? I'm astonished at the state of our world, that someone respecting someone else is something to hit the headline news.

bhullchukmaaf karni Maharaj.. Tuhaadi murakh aulaadh haan asi.. saanu kissi cheej da ki pathaa?

Waheguru Waheguru Waheguru Waheguru

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsaaa Waaahheguru Ji Ki Fatehh

4 Responses to “Happening”

TeraRoop said...

http://www.bcsikhyouth.com/2006/3-sikh-youth-pass-away-in-lake-accident/

I was thinking as I wrote this post that it would be good to have all the news articles linked to in one place, and in the second comment under that post, there are about seven or eight links I think.

When I've a bit more time on my hands, I'll come back and edit this post with as many more {if any} direct links as I can find.

Waheguru Waheguru Waheguru Jeeo..

bhullchukmaaf
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Anonymous said...

wahegurooo... i cant bare it any longer...we must try to live in bhana yet this is one of the toughest tests ive encountered. I didnt even know who these singhs were but now their legacy will remain and will inspire this whole generation to wake up....my soul hurts :*(

TeraRoop said...

It's okay Veerji.. you'll pass this test, too.

There is no reason for your soul to hurt.. you said it yourself: their legacy will inspire this whole generation to wake up. That's what I meant by this being their Sevaa. Not to belittle their jeevan, but in a strange way, in death they accomplished more than what most of us do in life.

They lived lives of prem, and left in prem as the quote in your post so obviously shows.. no one can say where their souls are now, but it is assured that Waheguru Ji is taking care of them just like He is the rest of us.

It's okay =)

Here's a huggie for your soul

*HUGG*

TeraRoop said...

the end of that link - after pass - should be 'away-in-lake-accident'

Leave a Reply

_/\_