Friday, December 16, 2005

Vacation

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa! Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

Sadly enough, Winter break has officially begun.. so we are off to L.A. for about one week.. I wanted to leave everyone with a thought.. but I got lazy, I should have posted earlier, so there'd be a full post.. I may have time tomorrow morning to update before I leave.. we'll see.

Soo, for quite some time.. and I mean quite some time lol.. I've been thinking about the role/status of women in the Panth. Yes, yes, we all know, males and females are equal, we also know we are all female, etc.

This was always in the back of my mind, but some time back {quite a bit of time}, Vikram Singh Veerji made this picture:



It wasn't until about five days later that I seriously started considering the fact that there aren't any well-known female Gursikhs out there - to the extent of my knowledge, at least, which isn't much.

I'm not some feminist hahaha {not hating on the 'girl power!' women}- I wasn't going crazy over the recent issues in the Panth, like female Panj, Darbar Sahib Sevaa, Darbar Sahib Kirtan, etc.

But isn't it kind of weird? All the Sikhs in this picture are males. All the 'Sant'/'Mahapursh'/'Brahmgyaanee' are male. Recently, this question has been put to me as well as others I know very frequently: "Why were all the Guru Sahibaan male?"

There are several 'logical' reasons - but those don't matter, do they? There was that argument that no woman gave her head then, that's why all the Panj are male.. but I'm not talking about why women can't do certain things.. from what I know, there's no rule saying a woman can't be a Sant/Mahapursh/Brahmgyaanee. So what's up?

Just thinking.. I haven't really come up with any significant reasoning behind this.. well, actually, none at all. Just something I've been thinking about.

Well.. time to take my leave.. I guess I don't need to return tomorrow.. this is a goodly length.

Waheguru Ji Maharaj Kirpaa karan

bhull chuk maaf

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa! Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

6 Responses to “Vacation”

rsingh said...

A whole week of no posts :(
hope you have fun in LA. Bring me back soemthing nice :=P hehe

Singhstah said...

nice blog :)

enjoy ur holiday

rsingh said...

yeh how was LA and what you get me??? hehe :=P

SikhsRus said...

Singh Sahib Jio,

Great Blog! What happened to all the bibis in the picture? I know there are a lot and let us give them the equal coverage that is due sine that is what the real Sikhi is about. Bhul chuk maaf!

Raminder Kaur said...

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh Bhan Ji!

I really like this picture you used, and just wanted to let you know that I'm "borrowing" it. Can you tell me where you got this pic from?

Thanks!

Stay in Chardi Kala!

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

Leave a Reply

_/\_