Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Poverty

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa! Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

Waheguru Jeee completely ignore the post from a few minutes or so ago, and look at this:



I'm pretty sure at least some of you have seen this photograph of a child in Sudan, who is trying to crawl to a UN food camp about a mile away. The photographer who took this picture didn't wait to see what happened to the child (the picture was taken in 1994 I believe), and the world doesn't know. The photographer also committed suicide three months later, due to depression.

You can see the vulture in the background, looking as if it is just waiting for the child to die..

I was immediately reminded of Baani.. I am such a tremendous murakh that I know there is a Pangtee relating to this, but my limited knowledge of anything related to Sikhi prevents me from posting it here.. will look into it.. it seems as though we are just like this vulture - waiting for an oppurtunity that benefits us, at the expense of another poor soul.

Waheguru Ji Maharaj.. Kirpaa karo..

bhull chuk maaf..

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh

6 Responses to “Poverty”

Novtej said...

That photograph is very touching.

Anonymous said...

:'(

Vaahiguroo

rsingh said...

The photograph and the story about him come together to have a deep effect on a person. Yet in 1994 it still happens.

You know what it reminded me of 84. I don’t know why I it just came to my mind. The child a Sikh and the vulture people committing mass genocide and ethnic cleansing. :(

Anng Sanng Vahiguroo

ਕਾਗਾ ਕਰੰਗ ਢੰਢੋਲਿਆ ਸਗਲਾ ਖਾਇਆ ਮਾਸੁ ॥
kaagaa karang dhandholi-aa, saglaa khaa-i-aa maas.
The crows have searched my skeleton, and eaten all my flesh.

ਏ ਦੁਇ ਨੈਨਾ ਮਤਿ ਛੁਹਉ ਪਿਰ ਦੇਖਨ ਕੀ ਆਸ ॥੯੧॥
eh du-e nainaa mat chhuhau, pir dekhan kee aas. ||91||
But please do not touch these eyes; I hope to see my Lord. ||91||

(Sholak Fareed Ji, Ang 1382, SGGS)

ss said...

Moving picture and very apt reference from Manvir Singh Ji.

I can understand that the photographer was doing his job and without him this picture wouldn't exist but I really would want to know what actions he took to try and help this child directly once he had the shot. For instance - the photographer probably had transport - did he use it to take the child to a know shelter, etc? I suspect the answer is that he was just doing his job and moved on to take the next shot - I happen to think there's more to it than that when human misery is involved.

I take pictures, as a hobby but if I had to forgo a picture to save a human I would in a second. Thats all there is to it.

We have plenty of pictures of starving children already; I agree reporting of new disasters is essential; but not at any cost. This was taken in 1994, we had untold pictures of suffering and misery from the last 10 years; do new pictures make a difference? Or do they make a name?

If he did do something, then I apologize, I don't want to appear harsh (as he did commit suicide); just pondering on the fraility of our existance and our own role in helping others in need.

See any book by Susan George for the real 'picture' on hunger and starvation. No photo's but plenty of telling commentary.

Bhul chuk marf
Rab Rakha

Bhenji this is a great blog - sorry I had to leave such a long and "serious" comment. Please keep posting.

Leave a Reply

_/\_