Thursday, November 24, 2005

Giving Thanks - for Shaheedi, for 'Guruship'.. for everything...

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh! Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

Today was such a hectic day..

Soo, rather than do what I usually do and write out each and every single thing that I'm grateful for, I'm going to do something very different in much, much shorter amount of time.

Today is Sri Guru Tegh Bahadur Ji Maharaj da Shaheedi Purb, as well as the Sikhs who became immortal in their sacrifice alongside Him- Bhat Mati Das Ji, Bhai Sati Das Ji, attae Bhai Daeaala Ji. It is also Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaj da Gurgaddi Divas. The following is an e-mail from a veer who I haven't talked to in quite some time.. this is a good way to start again : )

Dhan Dhan Sahib Siri Guru Tegh Bahadar Ji Maharaj Sachhay Patshah!!!!!

330 years ago today-
SatGuru Ji took Shaheedi (gave His Head) so that others could practice their religion freely.


Teg bahaadar see kri-aa
Karee na kinahoo(n) aan

No one else had ever done such a noble deed,
as the self sacrifice of Guru Tegh Bahadar

Theekar for dilees sir
Prabh pur keeyaa payaan

He broke his earthly vessel on the head of Aurangzeb
and showed the path to the Abode of WaheGuru.

Teg Bahaadar ke chalat
Bhayo Jagat Ko Sok

When Guru Tegh Bahadar left the body,
a great sadness welled up in the world.

Hai hai hai sabh jag bhayo
Jai jai jai sur lok

"Alas, Alas" rose the cries from the whole world,
while "Glory, Glory" cried the saintly beings.


Shaheedi Divas-
Bhai Mati Daas Jee, Bhai Sati Daas Jee, Bhai Dyala Jee, at Chandni Chauk Delhi.


An article about Sri Guru Tegh Bahadur Ji Maharaj: http://www.sskhalsa.com/?p=75

Look at all the things we've to be thankful for. I mean, honestly, it's so GORA to pick one day out of the year to be reaaally grateful, so that you don't feel guilty on the other 364 (or 365, depending). haha Gorae are adorable.

If we take a look at this Thanksgiving day, and think about the Sikh aspect of it, specifically we can find a couple of things to be grateful for. Guru Ji gave His head for the right of all to practice their beliefs. We - NOT just Sikhs - should be grateful for such an amazing 'Grandfather', who did this for us, we should be grateful for His sacrifice. We should be grateful to Bhai Mati Das Ji, jinna nu aari te chiraaia gaiaa si, Bhai Sati Das Ji, jo jandaa naal bann ke saarhae gae san, attae Bhai Daeaala Ji, jo degh vich ubaalae gae san {I think that's how you say it?..}. We should be grateful for such an amazing Father, who blessed us with the Divine Nectar, Ambrosia of ambrosias, AMRIT. Sweeeeet, puuuure Amrittttt.

We should be grateful for EVERYTHING. Every single, little, unnoticed, forgotten, ignored, misunderstood, hated, bleahh thing. All of them. You know why? Let me tell you why: because it's all from God, that's why. We are so blessed to receive all this from our Almighty Father.. but we'd rather complain than be grateful.

I'm so happy I started doing my own Ardaas before my meals when I did. There was always a two-second stretch of closed eyes, folded hands, Waheguru-saying, but I'm so glad that now I do my Ardaas the way I do. It reminds me of so much I'd have otherwise forgotten. And it's hilarious how much a part of me it's become. If I get caught up in talking when I sit down to eat Langar.. if I begin to take a bite, I automatically stop, say excuse me, and get right into it. I love it! Or if I'm particularly manmat one day, and in a foul mood, I just don't feel right until I do Ardaas.. no matter how childish I'm being in any other sense lol.. I dono.. it's just such a lovely feeling.. to thank Guru Ji at random times throughout the day.. to be reminded of Guru Ji by the simplest things around me.. I've this to be thankful to Guru Ji for..

haha okay, it's like 12:09.. I like my previous post better than this one.. anyway.. good night all.. or good morning. I'm off to isnaan.. : ) thanks for Nitnem Guru Ji!!

No response to “Giving Thanks - for Shaheedi, for 'Guruship'.. for everything...”

Leave a Reply

_/\_